If you envision yourself working in the classroom, FLCC's teaching assistant certificate program is for you!
In this program, you'll complete courses that will prepare you to test for certification through the New York State Department of Education.
You will also benefit from two required courses, EDU 101 Teacher Assistant I and EDU 102 Teacher Assistant II, which will prepare you for teacher assistant positions in the area of public education. These courses focus on federal and state laws and regulations, child and adolescent development and learning, classroom and behavior management and instructional strategies.
Online learning provides a convenient and flexible way to earn an education. Study on your time and from a location that fits your busy schedule. FLCC's teaching assistant certificate is available completely online, so you can complete courses outside the classroom.
As a student in this program, you are required to complete a minimum of 24 credit hours with a grade point average of no lower than C (2.0). For this certificate, you must successfully complete the following:
Humanities (9 Credit Hours)
- ENG 101 Composition I
- ENG 209 Introduction to Children's Literature
- COM 100 Human Communication
Teaching Assistant (9 Credit Hours)
- EDU 101 Teacher Assistant I
- EDU 102 Teacher Assistant II
- EDU 200 Foundations of American Education
Social Science (3 Credit Hours)
- PSY 100 Introduction to Psychology
Mathematics (3 Credit Hours)
- MAT 180 Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers I
The schedule below shows how the requirements for this certificate may be met in two semesters. For some students, fulfilling certificate requirements may take more than two semesters to complete. When planning your schedule, you should consult with your advisor.
First Semester (12 Credit Hours)
- ENG 101 Composition I (3)
- EDU 101 Teacher Assistant I (3)
- MAT 180 Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers I (3)
- PSY 100 Introduction to Psychology (3)
Second Semester (12 Credit Hours)
- ENG 209 Introduction to Children’s Literature (3)
- COM 100 Human Communication (3)
- EDU 102 Teacher Assistant II (3)
- EDU 200 Foundations of American Education (3)
After graduation, you will have met the education requirements for the the teaching assistant III certification through the New York State Department of Education.
You may also choose to progress to FLCC's A.A. childhood education (teacher education transfer) degree program or the A.A. liberal arts and sciences degree program.