Associate in Science (A.S.)
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this degree program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in workplace "soft skills" including an industry acceptable level of technical writing and oral communication.
- Demonstrate an ability to work on collaborative teams.
- Demonstrate an ability to perform basic laboratory procedures, including the ability to select and utilize appropriate resources, supplies, and instrumentation to solve problems within a laboratory environment.
- Demonstrate proficiency in critical advanced laboratory skills required for employment in the biotechnology industry.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the biotechnology industry.
As a student in this program, you are required to complete a minimum of 64 credit hours with a grade point average of no lower than C (2.0). For this degree program, you must successfully complete the following:
- ENG 101 Composition I
- ENG 102 Introduction to Reading Literature or ENG 103 Composition II
- COM 110 Public Speaking
- 3 credit hours of History (HIS) Electives
- 6 credit hours of Social Science Electives
- MAT 152 Pre-Calculus (Survey of Functions II)
- MAT 271 Calculus I
- BIO 121 General Biology I
- BIO 122 General Biology II
- BIO 222 Cell Biology
- BIO 230 Microbiology
- BIO 240 Principles of Genetics
- BIO 241 Principles of Genetics Lab
- BIO 283 Electrophoresis
- BIO 286 Cell and Tissue Culture
- BIO 287 Introduction to Biomanufacturing I
- BIO 288 Introduction to Biomanufacturing II
- CHM 121 General Chemistry I
- CHM 122 General Chemistry II
- CSC 134 Core Word
- CSC 135 Core Excel
- CSC 136 Power Point
- 2 credit hours of Health/Physical Education (HPE) Electives
- 3 credit hours of approved electives. (See sample schedule.)
For information on which courses fulfill SUNY General Education Electives and for information on transferring to a four-year school, visit www.flcc.edu/academics/transfer-guidelines.