High School Equivalency (HSE)
FLCC's HSE program provides you the instruction you'll need to earn your HSE diploma. It offers non-credit HSE classes, including an HSE course in Spanish, both at no cost. HSE courses prepare you to take the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC, formerly known as the GED), and lead you to earning your HSE diploma from the New York State Education Department.
About the Program
FLCC's HSE program provides you basic skills instruction in science, social studies, reading, math (algebra, geometry and trigonometry), English and writing. Each HSE course teaches you the materials you can expect to see on the TASC. Program career advisors offer you assistance with selecting career goals and enrolling in post-secondary education and training.
HSE courses are open to adults and out of school youth age 17 and older. Before enrolling in HSE courses, you'll be required to attend an orientation, where you'll pretest in math and reading. As an enrollee, you must achieve New York State Education Department (NYSED) level 3 cutoff scores in math and reading pretests. TASC testers must achieve passing scores on all five TASC official readiness tests including a written essay before applying to take the TASC.
Class Schedule & Registration
FLCC's HSE program offers day and evening classes in fall, spring and summer semesters. Students are admitted every five weeks into the program and are given a flexible time frame for completing it. New students entering HSE classes must attend an orientation session prior to registration.TASC and ESL Class Schedule
Before officially enrolling in FLCC's HSE courses, youth ages 17 and 18 will need to submit official NYSED verification forms. These forms verify that students are not currently enrolled in school and meet the NYSED testing requirements.
- An Application for TASC Testing must be received at least one week prior to testing.
- A copy of a government issued photo ID should accompany the application.
- Testers must be 17 years old or older to test unless they were home schooled.
- If under 19 years old - an Age Eligibility Form must also accompany the application. This must be completed and sealed by the high school. Testers must be out of school at least 1 year OR class has graduated OR enrolled in college or the military - to qualify to test.
- Testers must be residents of NYS for at least 30 days prior to testing.
- Submit completed testing application by mail or in-person and copy of photo ID to:
Finger Lakes Community College
3325 Marvin Sands Drive
Canandaigua, NY 14424
TASC Test Schedule
- September 23 & 24 - Main Campus, Canandaigua
- October 20 & 21 - Newark Campus Center
- November 16 & 17 - Geneva Campus Center
- December 14 & 15 - Main Campus, Canandaigua
Outcomes & Next Steps
After successfully completing the TASC, you'll receive your HSE diploma from the NYSED. Transcripts are also issued by the NYSED. All FLCC TASC program graduates can participate at FLCC's HSE graduation ceremony each June.
Career advisors are assigned to each class to assist you in the completion of your goals of achieving your HSE diploma and going on to college or postsecondary training. Career advisors can assist you with choosing a career, preparing your resume, or with helping you apply to college.
Adult Literacy Education Coordinator
Kathleen.Guy@flcc.edu FLCC Canandaigua Campus
(585)785-1431 or (585)785-1544 FLCC Geneva Campus
(315)789-6701 ext. 6023