Web and Mobile Development
Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.)
Web and mobile development is essential to all industries. Businesses large and small use websites to promote their brand online and apps to provide access to their products and services. Acquire the skills you need to work in this rapidly growing field.
Career Outlook: App Developers and Web Designers
Web designers build and maintain websites for their clients, and app developers create mobile-friendly software. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that careers in web development and digital content creation will grow 23% by 2031, which is significantly faster than the average job growth rate. The average annual salary for web developers was $77,030 in 2021.
A.A.S. Program Overview
This program prepares you to enter the workforce with the computer science and digital design skills you need to pursue a career in web and mobile development. Coursework focuses on computer programming, digital media design, and app development. You'll also practice project management skills including team communication, workflow, and delegating tasks.
By the end of the program, you'll have a digital portfolio of creative projects that you can use in your job search.
In-Demand Programming Skills
— Connor Bashaw, '23
Develop Digital Projects From Start to Finish
The web and mobile development capstone course mirrors the project development cycle you'll encounter in the workplace. You'll brainstorm and pitch ideas to a panel of faculty, and then see the project through from concept to launch. Along the way, you'll record your progress and provide updates to the class about various challenges and successes.
At the end of the semester, each team will unveil their project with a public presentation and product demonstration.
Sample Capstone Projects
Web and mobile development capstone projects include websites, mobile apps, video games, documentaries, promotional materials, and more. Some recent capstone projects include:
- The Interactive Book of New Media — a digital publication that provides an overview of the New Media program at FLCC featuring embedded video, QR codes, and other student-made interactive media.
- Listen: A VR Video Experience — an original 360-degree virtual reality film featuring student voice acting, audio design, illustrations, and non-linear storytelling.
- Promotional Videos — a series of short films featuring three specific FLCC programs. Team members interviewed current students, recorded footage, and edited audio and video for digital publication.
- FLCC Logging Sports: The Game — a 3D video game based on the logging sports team at FLCC. Created using Revamp and released on both Android and Apple App Store.
A.A.S. Program Outcomes
Upon graduation, you'll be ready to start a career in this field. Some opportunities include:
- App Development
- Computer Programming
- Digital Content Creation
- Web Design
Seamless Transfer Opportunities
Our web and mobile development program is an excellent first step toward earning a four-year degree. Many regional colleges and universities offer a bachelor's degree in web design, app development, or a related program, including:
- Alfred State College
- Farmingdale State College
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- SUNY Oswego
- SUNY New Paltz
- SUNY Plattsburgh
- SUNY Potsdam
Low-Cost Tuition and Scholarship Opportunities
Earn a quality education at an affordable rate. With our low cost-per-credit and general scholarship opportunities, you can maximize your potential with minimal debt. 80% of students are awarded scholarships or financial aid that help with the cost of college.
New Media and Computing Science faculty bring a wide range of technical expertise and decades of teaching experiences to this program. Many have professional experience working in software development, digital content creation, and web design. Our instructors strive to stay current with industry skills and expertise — providing you with the most up-to-date programs, courses, and educational experience.