Associate in Science (A.S.)
Prepare for an in-demand career in computer science, where positions tend to be high paying and employees are valued for their unique skills and expertise. Programmers, software engineers, and data experts are some of the most sought-after professionals across various sectors, and with an academic foundation from FLCC, your resume will begin to take shape.
Pursue your passion for technology and apply it to an ever-changing career in computer science. Computer science professionals play a key role in developing technology and systems for many industries, including health care, business, and manufacturing.
This degree program is designed for those who have an interest in computers, hardware, or software. You'll complete coursework with a strong emphasis on advanced math with courses in calculus, discrete math, and physics. At FLCC and beyond, you will be well-equipped with important technical, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
Foundational courses in this program include:
- Introduction to Programming and Computational Thinking
- Object-Oriented Software Development
- Computer Architecture and Organization
FLCC's A.S. in Computer Science is also available as a fully accredited online degree program. Through the online format, you are able to study on your own time from a location that fits your schedule. FLCC's online learning opportunities provide a convenient and flexible way to earn an education while still having access to the resources that provide you the knowledge and experience to become a leading programmer and technology professional.
Learn more about online degree programs at FLCC to see if it's the best-fit academic path for you.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this degree program, students will be able to:
- Apply computational concepts and analytical thinking in the development of computer algorithms and solutions.
- Develop and implement software solutions using multi-level programming languages.
- Discuss and reflect upon key ethical issues and global concerns in relation to the field of computer science, as well as the impact of technology upon individuals, organizations, and a global society.
- Work collaboratively and effectively within a team environment in order to create a computer solution or final project within a required time frame.
Most graduates transfer to four-year schools to advance their education. FLCC maintains articulation agreements with several different institutions, allowing for easy transfer. These schools include:
- SUNY Brockport
- SUNY Buffalo State
- Excelsior College
- Hobart and William Smith Colleges
- SUNY Oswego
- St. John Fisher College
Once you've earned a bachelor's degree, you may find yourself pursuing a career in:
- Network Administration
- Programming and Application Development
- Software or Multimedia Development
- Technical Support
- Web Development