Skip to Navigation

College Credit for Military Service

It’s possible that your valuable service in the military has earned you college credit. Finger Lakes Community College can help you determine to what extent your service has advanced your education.


Need a copy of your DD214? If you do not have your DD214, or cannot find it, we will be happy assist you in obtaining a copy.
To obtain or amend a copy of your military service record and/or your Official Military Personnel File (DD-214, OMPFs), please visit the website for the Military Personnel Records Center (MPRC) which is part of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Learn more at

Please note: The Department of Veterans Affairs does not maintain records of veterans’ military service, except as necessary for providing benefits from VA.


AARTS is a transcript system that produces official transcripts for eligible soldiers upon request by combining a soldier's military education and job experience with descriptions and college credit recommendations developed by the American Council on Education (ACE). Finger Lakes Community College uses this to help determine if your military service can be used for college credit. To request a copy of your AARTS transcript, visit


If you were in the US Navy or the US Marine Corps, SMART is the academically accepted record that is validated by ACE. The primary purpose of SMART is to assist service members in obtaining college credit for their military experience. To request a copy of your SMART transcript, visit