Information for students selected for verification
What is Verification?
Verification is the confirmation of the information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The U.S. Department of Education selects students for verification. FLCC may select others if we find conflicting information. Depending on the time of year, the verification review process can take up to 14 business days from the time the Financial Aid Office receives all requested documents.
What Information is Needed?
The Financial Aid Office will notify you, in writing, if you are selected and will inform you of the documents needed.
Requested information will include:
- Verification Worksheet(s)
- Tax return transcripts
- W-2 forms
- Verification of untaxed income
- Other information as requested
We can no longer accept copies of the IRS 1040 (1040A, 1040EZ) as a way to confirm the income reported on the FAFSA. When completing or correcting the income sections of the FAFSA, the applicant (and parent of a dependent student) should always use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. This is the FASTEST and most ACCURATE way to complete the verification process.
If you are unable to use the data retrieval process or you decide not to use the IRS data retrieval process, you (and your parents) will be required to submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
Requesting an IRS Tax Return Transcript
Important! Please request a TAX RETURN (not account) TRANSCRIPT.
Contact the IRS at (800) 908-9946. A paper transcript will be mailed to the requestor within 5 to 10 days. Please note: This cannot be sent directly to Finger Lakes Community College from the IRS. Once received, please drop off at the One Stop Office or mail to FLCC Financial Aid Office, 3325 Marvin Sands Drive, Canandaigua, NY 14424 or fax 585 394 0635.
Complete IRS FORM 4506T at www.irs.gov or go to http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript A paper transcript will be mailed to the requestor within 5 to 10 days. Transcripts ordered using this method can be mailed directly to The Financial Aid Office/Finger Lakes Community College by the IRS only if the tax filer requests this on line five of the paper form. Otherwise, once received, mail to the FLCC Financial Aid Office, 3325 Marvin Sands Drive, Canandaigua, NY 14424 or fax (585)394-0635.
If an IRS tax return will not and is not required to be filed
The filer must attest on the Verification Worksheet that an IRS tax form has not and will not be filed and that an IRS tax form is not required to be filed. If the non-filer worked in that tax year, all sources and amounts of earned income must be reported on the Verification Worksheet and copies of all W-2 forms from all employers must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office.
What Happens Next?
- Students selected for verification will not be awarded financial aid until the Financial Aid Office has received all requested documentation and the verification process has been completed.
- The Financial Aid Office will verify the information on your FAFSA application with the submitted documents to ensure that all the information is correct and consistent. If the Financial Aid Office makes any corrections to your FAFSA, the corrected information will be sent back to the federal processor to be revised. You will receive notification of the changes by the federal processor.
- Once reviewed, an award letter will be mailed to the student or an email notification will be sent indicating that awards have been adjusted. In addition, awards can be viewed by logging in to WebAdvisor.
What are the Deadlines?
Since aid cannot be finalized until the verification process has been completed, we recommend that you submit all requested documents as soon as possible. In order to receive a timely award, you are strongly encouraged to submit all requested documentation by the following dates:
- Fall Semester: August 1
- Spring Semester: December 1
- Summer Semester: May 1
Verification must be completed before a federal student loan can be certified. The last day a loan can be certified is the last day of the term or last date of enrollment, whichever is earlier.