How to Apply for Aid
Applying for aid can seem like a challenge, so we have identified the steps to make the process easier. As an applicant, it is important to submit appropriate application materials and documentation.
We recognize the delays and technical issues linked to the 2024-25 FAFSA roll out may be causing concern for you and your family. While improvements to the accessibility of the FAFSA system are on the horizon, the Department of Education has communicated that there may be delays in transmitting completed applications to colleges and universities.
That means we anticipate receiving your family’s FAFSA data in April or May 2024, pushing back our usual timeline for offering guidance and awarding your aid.
Keep Moving Forward: Complete Your FAFSA
Although a small number of students are still having trouble completing the FAFSA, most students are now able to successfully submit it online. We encourage all FLCC incoming and returning students to finish their FAFSA as soon as possible.
Upon submitting your FAFSA, you will receive an email confirmation from Federal Student Aid. This does not mean FLCC has received your data yet. We will reach out to you directly once we have it.
Your patience and understanding during this period are invaluable. We are grateful for your cooperation and are committed to providing regular updates as we navigate through these challenges together. Don't let the FAFSA delays deter you from pursuing your college experience and securing the funds you deserve.
Step 1: Create Your FSA User ID
- Request a FSA User ID for yourself and all contributors (spouse, parent, step-parent, etc.)
- Note: Your FSA User ID will be verified and ready for use within 3 days
Step 2: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Students Starting Spring 2024
- Complete the 2023-24 FAFSA — Ensure you have 2021 tax year information and your FSA User IDs.
Students Starting Summer or Fall 2024
- Complete the 2024-25 FAFSA — Ensure you have 2022 tax year information and your FSA User IDs.
Step 3: Complete a New York State Aid TAP Application
- Visit NYS Higher Education Services (HESC) to complete the New York State Aid Payment Application online. This link can be found on the FAFSA confirmation page.
- Review the application for accuracy and submit.
Even if you're not eligible for TAP, you should still complete this application to be considered for the Excelsior Scholarship, STEM Scholarship, Veteran Tuition Awards (VTA), and merit and part-time scholarship options.
Step 4: Submit Additional Documents, if Required
- Sometimes you are required to submit other required documents to verify your aid eligibility and award you financial aid.
- If you're unsure what documents you need to provide, please log in to your MyFLCC Financial Aid Checklist.
Step 5: View and Accept Your Awards
- Once your applications have been processed, the Office of Financial Aid will send an award notification to your FLCC and FAFSA email addresses.
- You can also check your award information 24/7 using MyFLCC.