Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is financial aid?

Financial aid comes from many sources, but basically has only three forms: grants/scholarships, work, and long-term educational loans. Grants and scholarships are free and do not need to be repaid. Grants are awarded based on need and scholarships are based on merit. Both student and parent loans will need to be repaid. Work is offered to students as part-time employment in college offices and departments.

This aid enables students to attend the institution of their choice and to gain access to higher education. The degree to which a student and family can pay for educational expenses varies from family to family; thus, financial aid is awarded to supplement funds that the student and family are able to pay.

Back to Top

Q: What applications do I need to file to receive financial aid?

Back to Top

Q: Can I estimate federal and state grant eligibility before I apply for financial aid?

If the numbers that you use are accurate, you can calculate your estimated eligibility for TAP (state grant) and Pell (federal grant) by following the links below.

Pell Grant Calculator

New York State TAP Award Calculator

Back to Top

Q: What if my parents (or I) haven't filled out our tax returns yet?

Give the best estimates that you can for the income of the year requested. After you file you can go back to your FAFSA and request that your tax data be retrieved from the IRS.

Back to Top

Q: How do I file the FAFSA?

Visit to file online.

Back to Top

Q: How do I sign my FAFSA electronically?

You will need an FSA ID (dependent student's parent must also have an FSA ID).

If you or your parents need an FSA ID, visit to create an FSA ID.

Back to Top

Q: When should I apply for aid?

Our recommended filing deadline for the fall semester and summer is March 15th, and for the spring semester it is November 1st. You should file as soon after January 1st as possible.

Back to Top

Q: What happens to my applications?

  1. The FAFSA is analyzed by the Federal Central Processor and sent electronically to each college that you list approximately one week after you file online.

  2. The TAP application is analyzed by the State Processor (HESC) and an award letter is sent to you showing the award amount. FLCC will be sent the award amount electronically.

Back to Top

Q: How do I make corrections to my FAFSA after it has been filed?

You may use your pin number and go online at to correct your FAFSA data.

Back to Top

Q: How is eligibility determined?

When the FAFSA is analyzed by the Central Processor, it is assigned an Expected Family Contribution (EFC). That amount is used by FLCC to determine the unmet need of the applicant. To do this, FLCC totals its costs, including tuition, fees, room and board, books, personal expenses, and transportation, and subtracts the EFC.

"Cost of attendance" - "EFC" = "Unmet need or aid eligibility"

Back to Top

Q: What are the costs to attend FLCC?

The cost of attending FLCC is detailed at

Back to Top

Q: Does FLCC participate in the World Trade Center Memorial Scholarship?

Yes, for victims who were severely disabled, or children or spouses of victims who died or were severely disabled in the attacks and rescue/recovery efforts including emergency medical services workers. Recipients are required to be enrolled as matriculated, full-time, undergraduate students. SUNY WTC Scholarship will pay the cost of tuition, fees, room and board, books, supplies, and transportation. Contact the FLCC Financial Aid Office for more detailed information.

Back to Top

Q: What is an award letter?

A SUNY Smart Track Award Letter is sent to a student when they are awarded financial aid. The award letter will indicate if the awards are estimated or actual. In the case of TAP, students must receive an actual award certificate from the state before the award is actual.

Back to Top


Q: Can I use my financial aid to pay the College tuition bill?

If your aid is actual prior to receiving a bill for tuition and fees, the bill will list grants and loans that you are receiving as a credit. You only need to pay the difference.

Back to Top


Q: What is the difference between a subsidized and unsubsidized loan?

  • Subsidized Loans are interest- and repayment-free while the student is attending 6 or more credits.
  • Unsubsidized Loans are repayment-free until six months after the student leaves school or drops below 6 credit hours but accrue interest during the time of enrollment.

Back to Top

Q: Who is the holder of my loan?

When a student borrows a Federal Direct Loan, they are borrowing directly from the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE). The USDOE uses different servicers to manage accounts once the loan disburses. To view the servicer(s) of your loans, go to

Back to Top

Q: Are there other funding options beyond the Stafford loan?

Students who need to borrow more have two options.

1) Dependent student parents can borrow under the Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Student Program (PLUS). Parents should complete the Federal Direct Plus Loan request form. PLUS Loans are available in amounts up to the cost of education minus any financial aid already being received by the student. If a parent is denied a PLUS loan, the student may apply for additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loan funding.

2) Students may borrow Alternative Education Loans. These loans, unlike Stafford Loans, are not regulated by the federal government. They are commercial loan products, sponsored by lenders to pay college costs. Families apply directly to the lender. These loans are available in amounts up to the cost of education minus any financial aid already being received by the student.

Back to Top


Q: When do students receive tuition bills?

  • For the fall semester, bills are generated in the beginning of July with a due date in late July or early August.
  • For the spring semester, they arrive in November with a due date of December.
  • For the summer semester, bills are generated mid April with a mid May due date.

Back to Top

Q: When is aid disbursed to students?

Excess aid in the fall and spring terms will be disbursed from the Student Accounts Office during the 6th week of the semester. Summer aid disbursements vary so check with the One Stop Center for actual dates.

Back to Top

Q: Can I charge my books at the Book Store?

If you have actual financial aid in excess of your tuition and fees during the fall and spring semester you may charge at the Book Store beginning two weeks before school starts for 4 weeks. This service is not available during Winter Session.

Back to Top

Q: What if I have an emergency expense?

Emergency loans are available to students who have financial aid due to them. To apply, visit the FLCC Financial Aid Office. There is a $20 finance charge. This service is only available during the fall and spring semesters. Students may apply for a maximum of $350 and can only receive one emergency loan a semester. Funds are limited. Students will only be allowed two (2) emergency loans in a three (3) year period.

Back to Top

Q: What is Satisfactory Academic Progress?

All students must make progress towards their degree and maintain good academic standing. If you do not, financial aid can be denied. View Eligibility Guidelines.

Back to Top

Q: Is there a limit on the number of semesters that I can receive aid?

  • Students may only receive six semesters of TAP as a Community College student
  • Students may receive federal aid until they have completed a lifetime limit of the equivalent of six full-time semesters of attendance toward a degree.
  • Students may receive a lifetime limit of 12 semesters of a Federal Pell Grant.
  • Pell Grants and SEOG are not available to students who have previous undergraduate degrees.

Back to Top

Q: How do I apply for summer financial aid?

If you are thinking of attending the summer semester, contact the Financial Aid Office. Students must complete a separate FLCC aid application. Limited aid is available.

Back to Top

Q: Can I receive aid if I am an Early Admit Freshman?

Early Admits are not eligible for aid as the federal government considers them to be simultaneously enrolled in high school and College.

Back to Top

Q: Can I receive aid if I do not have a high school diploma or GED?

No, effective July 1 2012, students will need a high school diploma or GED to be eligible for federal aid.

Back to Top

Q: Can I use my veterans benefits at FLCC?

Yes, the Veteran's Certifying Official is located in the Financial Aid Office.

Back to Top

Q: What happens if I withdraw from College during a semester?

If a student withdraws or stops attending FLCC prior to the point where sixty percent of the semester has passed, the College is obligated to recalculate the aid for that semester. It is best for students to check with the One Stop Center before withdrawing. For more information, go to the Student Accounts Office Web page.


Contact Us

Financial Aid Office
Room 1145
(585) 785-1276
(585) 394-0635

Mon-Thu: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Fri: 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Walk Ins Welcome.

Federal College code: 007532
State College code: 2256

Websites & Contacts