Educational Opportunity Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can you give me more information about services offered through EOP?

A: The services offered include:

  • Pre-freshman Summer Program - A three-day orientation program introducing students to the college, to EOP, and to the support services available to help students reach their educational and career goals.
  • Tutoring program - Professional tutors to help students in academic coursework at no cost to EOP student.
  • General academic advisement - EOP counselors are available to assist the student in identifying interests, abilities, and expectations, and to help students plan and reach their degree and transfer goals.
  • General services - EOP Counselors assist the student in accessing the services of other college offices.
  • Supplemental assistance grant - A direct aid grant to eligible EOP students based on need for books and educationally related expenses. Awards range from $100 to $400 per academic year. (Maximum number of semesters at the community college is 6.)
  • EOP/HEOP Transfer - Eligibility for transfer as an undergraduate to participating New York State colleges and universities as an (H)EOP student.
  • Graduate Waiver Tuition - Graduate Opportunity Program Tuition Waiver for EOP, HEOP, and SEEK program graduates. Acceptance into the program is determined at the campus to which the student has applied and depends, in part, on the number of scholarships allocated to that campus. The graduate tuition scholarship will provide students with financial support to cover tuition at a participating SUNY Graduate and Professional school where they qualify for admission.
  • Extended TAP - Up to 10 semesters of TAP (New York State Tuition Assistance Program ) based on need.

Q: Is EOP the office which provides disability-related IEP accommodations?

A: No. EOP and disabilities accommodations are separate services. Information on disabilities services at the college may be found at

Q: Is EOP a financial aid program?

A: Not primarily. Although most students who receive EOP support do receive an additional direct aid grant, other support services from EOP are emphasized.

Q: Does EOP pay tuition and housing cost?

A: No. The EOP direct aid grant that students receive may be used for books and supplies or living expenses, but may not be used for tuition. Housing costs typically total far more than EOP direct aid. Other grants and loans are required to meet these expenses. It is also not possible for EOP to apply aid to housing deposits or application fees, which are due before excess financial aid comes to the student.

Q: Where can I get more information about the financial aid at FLCC?

A: There is a lot of information at

Q: Is there additional information on financial planning and paying for college you can offer?

A: Students applying for or participating in EOP at FLCC are encouraged to plan carefully for the financial side of college attendance. You are strongly encouraged to come in and meet with EOP staff, or arrange a time to talk on the phone, if there is any way we can help you with understanding your financial aid award, what your college costs will be, and how to plan and budget for your attendance at FLCC.

Q: What kind of income documentation may be needed for EOP admission?

A: EOP applicants are required to provide the Financial Aid Office with documentation of family income to verify economic eligibility for admission to the program. We must receive proof of all income, including non-taxable income. All income documents must state the total received for the year. The following documentation may be required depending on the family's source(s) of income:

To Document: We will need:
Taxable Income We encourage you to use the IRS Data Retrieval process when completing your FAFSA. If you have not used the data retrieval on your FAFSA, go to now to update your FAFSA. If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval on the FAFSA, you MUST request and submit a 2015 TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT directly from the IRS. Go to If family income is mostly from non-taxable sources, and income tax forms are not filed, we need proof of non-filing, obtained by filing form 4506-T with the IRS.
Unemployment 1099-G or equivalent statement
Nontaxable Income
Social Services Benefit statement from all County Department(s) of Social Services from which cash assistance was received
Social Security or SSI Form 1099 or statement from Social Security Administration of the Federal Government
Worker's Compensation Statement from appropriate agency Pensions, and/or insurance company or VA non-educational benefits
Child Support Statement from County Child Support Collection Unit or copy of court document