Liberal Arts and Sciences: Writing Track
Associate in Arts (A.A.)
At FLCC, a liberal arts degree with a track in Writing provides you practice within multiple genres while fostering creative confidence by guiding you to compose texts clearly and effectively. While pursuing Writing, you will build a strong background for study in a variety of majors wherein well-honed composition skills are valued such as education, journalism, law, advertising, public relations, and business/technical writing.
A liberal arts degree provides you with the skills that are in demand in the workforce. The flexibility of the degree allows you to take your career path in directions that are diverse and exciting. The skills employers say they are seeking the most when hiring are written communication and critical thinking, both of which you will develop during your studies in FLCC's A.A. or A.S. liberal arts programs.
FLCC's Writing track is ideal for you if you intend to transfer on to pursue your bachelor's degree. The program provides a broad, balanced exposure to the liberal arts by incorporating courses in the humanities, social sciences, mathematics, and sciences. Additionally, the Writing track offers you the ability to nurture a solid foundation for further study in a variety of creative writing majors including fiction, creative non-fiction, and poetry.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this degree program, students will have the ability to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in writing at the college level.
- Develop proficiency in oral discourse.
- Demonstrate proficiency in critical thinking.
- Develop the ability to use computer technology for research and production.
- Recognize the knowledge, skills, and values that will contribute to involvement in one's community.
- Identify the knowledge and skills necessary to live interdependently in a diverse, sustainable global community.
- Demonstrate the ability to comprehend, interpret, analyze, and evaluate college-level materials.
If you are a curious and motivated student, exploring Honors Studies courses at FLCC will provide you alternative educational experiences. Honors classes' center on reflection and community building. They are available to full-time and part-time students in all degree programs. Successful completion of these courses or earning your Honors Studies certificate or diploma, can increase your transfer options, and make you eligible for specific scholarships.